NY Met Opera suspends famed conductor amid sexual misconduct claims

The opera company honored Levine with the title of Music Director Emeritus after the end the 2015-2016 season. It was expected to be his last appearance at the Met for at least the rest of this year and possibly the foreseeable future. Pai said he reached out to police in Lake Forest because some of his encounters with Levine took place there in the mid-1980s. In this case the three alleged victims agreed to have their names published in the Times. Levine will not be involved in any Met activities, including conducting scheduled performances at the Met this season,” the Met said in a statement. Met officials said they learned of the police report last year and announced they were launching an investigation. Met officials said in an earlier statement that Levine has denied the charges. Then on Sunday, the New York Times reported similar accounts from two other men accusing Levine of sexual misconduct. “Mr. The move to suspend Levine came a day after the New York Post first reported that one of Levine’s accusers claimed he had sexual contact with Levine as a teenager. He reported the allegations to the police department in Lake Forest, Ill., in October 2016. Cleary, a former U.S. He  was named the Met’s new music director in June 2016 and is set to officially take over in 2020. 

© The Associated Press, 2017 According to the Times, Pai said he was sexually abused by Levine starting in the summer of 1986, when he was 16. Levine has struggled with health problems including Parkinson’s disease in recent years but was scheduled to conduct several productions this season. We are deeply disturbed by the news articles that are being published online today about James Levine. Met officials said they learned of the police report last year. The accusations against Levine, among the most prominent classical music conductors in the world, are the latest in a stream of sexual misconduct charges involving high-profile men in entertainment and the media that have rocked the nation since accusations against film mogul Harvey Weinstein were reported in October. We are working on an investigation w outside resources to determine whether charges of sexual misconduct in the 1980s are true, so that we can take appropriate action.—
@MetOpera

One of Levine’s accusers, Ashok Pai, also spoke to The Associated Press in recent weeks but declined to tell his story on the record at the time. He declined to be interviewed again when contacted this weekend. Paul Chamber Orchestra for more than 30 years. Levine served as music director of the Met from 1976 to 2016, when he assumed the position of music director emeritus. Levine served as music director at the Ravinia Festival, outside Chicago, from 1973 to 1993. “This is a tragedy for anyone whose life has been affected.”
An email to Levine’s manager seeking comment on the accusations was not immediately returned. The Associated Press does not generally name alleged victims of sexual abuse unless they come forward with their allegations. He told the Times that he and Levine masturbated each other when Brown was 17 at the Meadow Brook School of Music in Michigan, where Levin was on the summer program’s faculty. ‘This is a tragedy’
“Based on these new reports, the Met has made the decision to act now, while we await the results of the investigation,” said Peter Gelb, Met General Manager. James Lestock described a similar account there when he was a 17-year-old cello student. Canadian Yannick Nézet-Séguin is the Met’s music director designate. attorney and the current head of the investigations practice at the Proskauer Rose law firm, to lead the investigation into the allegations that took place from the 1960s to 1980s. 3 of 3: “While we await the results of the investigation, based on these new news reports, the Met has made the decision to act now,” said Peter Gelb, Met General Manager, whose actions are fully supported by the leadership of the Met Board and its Executive Committee.—
@MetOpera

Chris Brown played principal bass in the St. New York’s Metropolitan Opera on Sunday said it was suspending its relationship with longtime conductor James Levine pending an investigation into multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him. Levine was scheduled to conduct a New Year’s Eve gala performance of Tosca. Levine served as music director of the Met from 1976 to 2016, when he assumed the position of music director emeritus. (Jim Bourg/Reuters)

On Saturday afternoon, Levine conducted a performance of Verdi’s Requiem that was broadcast on radio worldwide. Details of the police report were first reported on Saturday on the New York Post’s website. Matt Lauer apologizes in wake of harassment allegations

Russell Simmons steps down from companies amid allegation

The Met also said it has appointed Robert J.